I have a ravioli maker, the kind that is rectangular and has 12 squares with 1" holes meant to be used with a rolling pin to seal the ravioli. I've never used it and have never made ravioli. I see online that it's meant to be used with a plastic press to create the sunken part to put the filling in. I don't have this press. Should I just push down with my fingers to make the pocket? Or is there some other way that might ensure uniformity?

  • Maybe a gentle press with a spoon?
    – moscafj
    Commented Jul 5, 2019 at 0:46

1 Answer 1


Just push down gently with your thumbs; you want an impression that's about 1cm deep. There is no way to ensure uniformity if you have lost the insert.

You can just buy a replacement ravioli maker, which will have the plastic plate. I suppose you could even fabricate a replacement for the missing plate, but anything you make is liable to be more expensive than simply buying one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.