On reading a U. S. book about making one's own cordials, I came across '1 tablespoon fruit protector' listed in the ingredients of a recipe.

Do you know what fruit protector is called in Britain?

  • 2
    I'm not familiar with the stuff, but a quick search online shows a couple of brands, and the ingredient lists are similar : dextrose, ascorbic acid, citric acid, and silicon dioxide. So as strange as it sounds ... it's actually pretty similar to instant lemonade mix. (although I don't know if the proportions are similar). – Joe Aug 4 '16 at 14:12
  • It's a redox agent (antioxidant). Oxygen reacts with it, instead of turning the fruit brown. – Wayfaring Stranger Aug 5 '16 at 1:23

To the best of my knowledge there is only one major brand of fruit/vegetable preserver, Fruit-Fresh. In the U.S. it is often found in the canning section of grocery stores. It is available on Amazon UK (Fruit-Fresh) so you may also be able to find it in local markets.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.