I was looking at the website for Francis Batt, a French culinary boutique (my boning knife is from there, great product IMO, so I'm a fan). I noticed a knife there called a «couteau suédois» or Swedish knife, however googling this in both French and English yielded no real info.

What is a Swedish knife ?

  • 1
    On the page you linked to it shows this knife under fish knives, specifically salmon.
    – Debbie M.
    Sep 26, 2019 at 5:14
  • @DebbieM., I saw it linked from another page on the site and didn't see the site tree
    – NoahM
    Sep 26, 2019 at 22:42

1 Answer 1


That is the kind of knife you would use to slice gravlax (salt and sugar cured salmon) or possibly smoked salmon into thin, large slices. You need a long, narrow, flexible blade to cut the salmon nicely. I have never seen them referred to as a "Swedish knife" anywhere else though. In Swedish stores they would be sold as filleting knives.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.