0

I was microwaving a potato cake, which definitely has no metal inside it (or any which would cause a fire), it was in the middle of the platter when suddenly the side of the microwave caught on fire, there's a small piece of what looks like metal built into the device, but I fail to see why it wouldn't have caught fire the hundreds of other times I used it.

Should I be replacing this microwave or is it a one off?

  • "side of the microwave" - as in, the paint on the inside of the oven chamber? – rackandboneman Jan 17 '17 at 8:54
  • @rackandboneman that kind of thing – Alfie Goodacre Jan 17 '17 at 9:07
10

If anything that is actually part of the microwave caught fire, of course you should replace it.
(Theoretically you could have it repaired by someone knowledgeable, but repairing a microwave is not cost effective.)

Continuing to use damaged electrical equipment is asking for a fire or damage to your electrical systems.

There is no such thing as a 'one off' fire that you can neglect.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.