I recently was given an old family cast iron skillet and noticed that the outside of it had serious buildup. Basically I can take my fingernail and lift several, thick, black pieces off. The inside of the pan is fine. I was wondering where this comes from and if this affects cooking on the pan. Also what would be the best way to remove the buildup? Thanks

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Do you have a gas stove or electric or induction? – The Photon Jan 26 at 17:52
  • I've been using a gas stove. – Carl Edwards Jan 26 at 17:53
  • could the pan have been used on open flame, e.g. been taken for camping? – rumtscho Jan 28 at 8:54

The inside looks absolutely fine, so assuming you will protect that if you do any actual work on the outside I see a couple of routes you can take...

  1. You can ignore it & see if it will reach a new equilibrium with your own cooking equipment & technique.

  2. You can clean it off & quite quickly return the outside to a lesser seasoned state - as you're not cooking on the outside the seasoning is far less important, & as you've already discovered, the outsides of pans can get a lot more build-up over time than the insides*.
    You could attack it with sandpaper, or a drill & wire brush attachment, though you need to beware of the mess that can make if you do it indoors... or you could take it to somewhere that could shot-blast it for you. This is an industrial cleaning process, depending on abrasive type can be extremely vicious, but it's rapid & they could clean the outside back to shiny iron in 2 minutes.

You can then re-season the outside.

*You should have seen my old wok before my partner threw it away. I eventually forgave her ;)

  • 1
    Another aggressive mechanical attack is a drill-mounted wire brush or sanding disc. If you've got a drill they're both cheap – Chris H Jan 26 at 19:36
  • I'd considered that as an option - & probably ought to add it to the answer, thanks... but I was just thinking about the mess ;) Sanding is bad enough. If you find somewhere that does shot-blasting [or one of the myriad varieties of it] then they've got extraction & filtration so you don't need to worry... & they'll charge pence for it, because one of the guys will just do it for you there & then, no booking, no real fee, just bung the guy a few quid. – Tetsujin Jan 26 at 19:40
  • 1
    I've got a garage set up as a workshop, googles and masks to hand, so I wouldn't worry. I can see how that might not work for everyone. Even a big handheld steel wire brush might do something good – Chris H Jan 26 at 19:55
  • 3
    I'm the only one in my entire extended family who never took up a manual trade. I learned quite young that it's simpler to find 'a bloke who can do that' than attempt it myself ;-) – Tetsujin Jan 26 at 20:00
  • 2
    @GeorgeM - The 'why' is that it's shedding faster than a a labrador in summer. The 'why not' is covered in my first point. – Tetsujin Jan 31 at 6:38

Placing the pan in the oven during a self cleaning oven cycle will make the peeling layers turn to ash, and they can be easily scoured off using a steel wool scrubber. (Tried this from experience with a pan very similar to yours)

Unfortunately, this will require re-seasoning the entire pan.

  • The high heat won't cause the pan to crack? – Carl Edwards May 16 at 11:44
  • 1
    @CarlEdwards cast iron is able to withstand temperatures over 500C without any problem. Put it in the oven when cold, start your self-clean cycle, and make sure you let the pan completely cool in the oven - don't try to cool it down quickly by other means. – canardgras May 16 at 12:50
  • @canardgras Thanks for clarifying. – Carl Edwards May 16 at 12:51

I am always looking for things to break out my dremel....iT would work perfectly on a cast iron pan that has build up...In fact you could used several different attchments to really take off the black bumpy stuff....I would have a ball if I had a cast iron skillet that was old and needed this I have it looking new in no time at all and you could too !! grab your dremel and get to work !

  • What tip would you use for something like this? A wire cup? Wire wheel? sanding disk? And are you talking about a large dremel, like the trio (more rotozip sized), or something smaller like the original stick ones? – Joe May 15 at 13:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.