I'm assuming asking this question is ok since questions about kitchen equipment and cutlery are permitted.

So far I've only found steel plates that have a vertical edge. Do these vertical-edged plates have a specific name that I could search for, to check if they are available as a microwavable plates?
enter image description here

Most plates are pretty flat, which causes food to annoyingly go off the edge and onto the table.
enter image description here

  • 2
    The top one doesn't look like a plate; it looks like one of those small trays they serve Thali on. – Tetsujin May 8 '20 at 7:58
  • "Pie plate" seems to yield some results – Duarte Farrajota Ramos May 8 '20 at 11:37
  • @Tetsujin: The steel plates are available in many sizes, including 6 inch diameter. Thali itself means "plate", and is just a way of serving the food. We take the katori's from the thali and place them on the table before starting the meal. The steel plate is a full-fledged dinner plate. – Nav May 8 '20 at 15:10
  • 1
    @DuarteFarrajotaRamos: Thank you. Although "pie plate" isn't the right type, your reply led me to "raised edge dinner plate" and "divided scoop dinner plate". – Nav May 8 '20 at 15:13
  • When I was young and learning ESL(English as second language) I was taught the flat one is a dish while the raised edge one is a plate. But here it says the compete opposite: english.stackexchange.com/questions/6276/… – user3528438 May 8 '20 at 16:22

With Duarte's help, I found the plates are:

There are also lipped edge plates, but it doesn't always satisfy the requirement of food not going off the edge.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.