I'm looking for the names of "Rollfondant" and "Modellierfondant" in english. I'm new to the métier but as far as I can tell, Rollfondant is used to cover a whole cake, while Modellierfondant is used for modelling small figures to put on the cake. Thanks!

3 Answers 3


The generic term for sugar-water pastes used to decorate food is icing or frosting.

Rollfondant sounds like ready-to-roll icing, but it could be royal icing, which contains egg white.

Modellierfondant sounds like modelling paste. There are various recipes which use different additives to the core ingredients of sugar and water in order to obtain a suitable consistency and to dry without cracking.

  • The ingredients on the package don't list any egg white, so I think it would be ready-to-roll icing. I gather modelling paste is edible?
    – Thaoden
    Oct 31, 2014 at 14:30
  • The modelling paste recipes I've seen are edible, but I don't know for sure that there aren't inedible ones out there. Oct 31, 2014 at 14:41
  • 1
    Fondant is not royal icing, it is made from sugar syrup with a controlled amount of crystalization. It's its own type of icing.
    – rumtscho
    Oct 31, 2014 at 17:03
  • What would be royal icing in german then?
    – Thaoden
    Nov 1, 2014 at 11:53
  • royal icing = Eiweißglasur
    – Stephie
    Nov 2, 2014 at 8:59

Wikipedia differentiates between "rolled fondant" and "sculpting fondant": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondant_icing


"Rollfondant" is "Rolled Fondant" or simply "Fondant"

I can't say for certain, but I suspect that "Modellierfondant" is also called "Fondant", but a different consistency (and we don't differentiate in English) ... or it's what they call "gumpaste", which is typically used for making flowers and other more delicate items. There's also "modeling chocolate" (chocolate based), and of course Marzipan (which might be called "Almond Paste") for

  • a cliffhanger again :)
    – rumtscho
    Oct 31, 2014 at 17:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.