enter image description here

What is this device called? The length is exactly 12 inches.

  • 10
    It would be great to provide some kind of reference for the size (a ruler for instance)
    – WoJ
    Jan 6, 2020 at 13:38
  • 1
    I recommend registering your account - then you can edit your posts as needed. See here and here for more information.
    – Stephie
    Jan 7, 2020 at 17:35

2 Answers 2


I don’t know if it has an official name, but it’s a spaghetti tool. The holes are for measuring portions and the tines are for stirring in the boiling water and for serving after it’s strained.

  • 1
    It's a "plastic pasta server/measurer" on alibaba alibaba.com/product-detail/…
    – stanri
    Jan 6, 2020 at 16:00
  • 1
    I can also confirm this answer. My mom had one of these when I was a kid in the 80's-90's. Jan 6, 2020 at 18:49

This tool is certainly labelled as a pasta server/measurer on Alibaba. It doesn't look useful for such, though. It looks more like an herb stripping tool.

Here's a link on amazon to a similar product.

  • 9
    Other than identifying the tool as "like an herb stripping tool", this answer just plain wrong. It looks similar to the herb-stripping tool, because form follows function, and the mechanical aspects are similar. But the tool being asked about is definitely a pasta tool, and is definitely not an herb-stripper. It is larger than an herb-stripper, the holes are typically marked specifically for pasta serving sizes, and the spoon shape provides a means for picking up not just spaghetti, linguini, etc. that the tines work with but also smaller pasta shapes. Jan 6, 2020 at 18:37
  • 7
    @PeterDuniho I'd add as well that the other central claim of this answer is also definitely wrong - the tool does look useful for pasta serving/measuring.
    – Alex M
    Jan 6, 2020 at 22:19
  • 1
    My guess is this item is way too big for herb stripping, but it's admittedly hard to tell from the picture.
    – Kat
    Jan 6, 2020 at 22:50
  • 1
    @PeterDuniho you put a handful of spaghetti through the holes, to get 1/2/4 servings or perhaps 100/200/300g or some such. Very quick and convenient. The prongs let you fish spaghetti out of the water easily. I would say it's not a general-purpose pasta tool, but one limited to long pasta for the fishing, and to long hard pasta for measuring, and even then best at spaghetti (with round cross-section giving a predictable area) and worse at long hard flat noodles (where packing could give more or less solid a cross section than spaghetti). Jan 7, 2020 at 5:05
  • 3
    @Swiss: you don't need to explain to me how to use the tool. I have one that I've owned for 30+ years. And I have found it useful for dealing with all types of pasta. YMMV. Jan 7, 2020 at 7:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.