enter image description here

It has holes on the bottom as well.
Please inform me of all the uses (and the name of) this tool.

  • 2
    I thought it was a garlic press at first, but they don't have holes in the sides, just the end.
    – Criggie
    Nov 9 '20 at 22:51
  • @Criggie also it's huge - it would take a couple of hours to peel enough garlic to fill this up halfway.
    – Vorac
    Nov 10 '20 at 3:39
  • 2
    Could have been someone with very small hands...
    – Criggie
    Nov 10 '20 at 4:01
  • Sorry for no banana. Sorry @SE for the off-topic but I must :(
    – Vorac
    Nov 10 '20 at 4:04
  • In my childhood my parents used a similar one to press juice from pomegranates. Now, after reading the answers I start doubting if they used it for intended purpose. Or may be just similar devices. Nov 10 '20 at 7:11

It is a potato ricer. You place boiled potatoes in the basket and push the lever down to squeeze the potato through the holes. They are handy for making very smooth mashed potatoes, though they can be tricky to clean - washing them immediately or at least putting them in water so the potato doesn't harden is advised.

  • 4
    It can be used to mash anything that is soft enough (pumpkin, carrots, lentils, beans) and soft dough for frying. Nov 9 '20 at 13:47
  • 4
    It is also an important tool to create plum dumplings (which I know from a recipe that my grandfather brought from Bohemia after WWII and has always been my favorite dish at my grandparent's). See here on how it is being used: youtu.be/9QvudCaxsAo?t=27 .
    – dasmy
    Nov 9 '20 at 20:40
  • 3
    Plum dumplings aren't the only ones this is necessary for. A number of Czech dumplings need dumplings that are boiled and than mashed using this tool. The consistency is a little different than you would get using normal mashing.
    – DRF
    Nov 10 '20 at 10:49
  • * not dumplings, but potatoes
    – DRF
    Nov 10 '20 at 13:35

In Germany, it is also indispensable for making Spaghetti-Eis.


  • 10
    I wouldn’t recommend the model pictured for spaghetti ice - use one that has holes on the bottom only. This allows to drape the strands in a pile of “spaghetti”, whereas the holes-all-over model just makes a huge mess.
    – Stephie
    Nov 9 '20 at 20:46
  • Also, for spaghetti ice you probably would want slightly bigger holes.
    – MaxD
    Nov 10 '20 at 14:16

Also in southern Germany you would use it to make "Spätzle", a long kind of noodles made out of dough containing eggs, flour, milk (or water) and salt. Nowadays it is highly uncommon to use a device with holes on the side but I do know some people who still do. The device is commonly referred to as "Spätzle-Presse" or the one and only original "Spätzle-Schwob". The one with the side holes is preferably used for mashed potatoes, jam or juice.

  • Danke sehr fuer Ihnen text. Einen Bild macht sehr spas.
    – Vorac
    Nov 10 '20 at 23:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.